100 Mile Route
UPDATE: This route has been revised since an earlier version was posted here. There is a full closure of Wildcat Canyon Road beyond Inspiration Point due to winter storm damage. The route now goes around the northern end of the Berkeley Hills to get from Island Rest Stop to Castro Ranch Road.
Redwood Road is also closed near Castro Valley, but don't worry, we brought back our traditional south loop as far as the Zoo, followed by a turn to the north to the climb up local-favorite Butters Canyon.
The 100 mile course has roughly 9,000 feet of climbing. The route starts with a revised early morning south loop to a new rest stop. Then it climbs the east side of the Oakland-Berkeley hills via Pinehurst Road, and follows the ridge up and over Grizzly Peak and into Tilden Park to the rest stop at Island Picnic Area. It then heads north to the edge of the Bay and the Carquinez Strait to the rest stop at Crockett. From there it climbs McEwen Road for a run down into Franklin Canyon and Alhambra Valley, then over Pig Farm Hill and through the hills around Briones Reservoir to the rest stop at Briones Regional Park. Finally, relatively easy riding on Moraga Way takes you back to the start for the post-ride meal.
Alternative Car-Free Start
Our car-free start is at Island Picnic Area, which is the second rest stop on the 100 mile course. Depending on where you join the route, you may or may not stop at Sunrise, the first rest stop. In any case, once you are on the route, follow it to the hot barbecue meal at St Mary's College. Then, ride as much or as little of the official south loop as makes sense for your return trip home. The rest stop at Sunrise will not be open in the afternoon.
- At mile 3.1 turn left onto Pinehurst Road. Some other routes go right here, so be careful not to follow them. This has changed since prior years.
- At mile 15.1 turn right onto Mountain Blvd. This has changed since prior years.
- At mile 45.5 the route traverses Kensington Hilltop School, which interrupts Highland Blvd. Look for a course marshall there to assist you with directions.
- At mile 56.3 turn left onto Pinole Valley Road. The 50 mile route goes right here, so be careful not to follow them. If you arrive at this point after 1:00pm, turn RIGHT instead, and follow the 50 mi route arrows to Briones rest stop and the finish at St Mary's.
- At mile 60.0 continue straight onto Tennent Ave. This has changed since prior years.
- At mile 60.8 weave your way onto Railroad Ave and then the Bay Trail bike/ped bridge. The next 2.5 miles are on a multi-use trail. Ride slowly and be courteous to other trail users (pedestrians, dogs, strollers, etc).
- At mile 66.8 in Crockett turn left onto 2nd Ave. This has changed since prior years. The rest stop is now in Crockett.
- At mile 70.2 turn sharply right onto the very steep McEwen Road. Gear down before the turn!
- At mile 86.7 turn left into Briones Park to go to the rest stop. It is on a fast descent, so easy to miss.
Below is a tentative map. You will receive a final map at registration. Note that you can click on View Full Version to see more details or Send to Device to export files suitable for your GPS device.
We have a tentative cue sheet available now. You will receive a final cue sheet at registration.