GPC Bike Clothing — Voler
Last updated 2021-05-03
HOW TO SAY IT? Voler is pronounced “voe-LAY”, like the French verb.
Next GPC Order Period at Voler
Opens: Mon May 3, 2021
Closes: Mon May 17, 2021 at 11:59pm
Ships: On or before June 25, 2021
(Link below will become active when the store opens)
- You need to create an account at Voler. If you already have a Voler account from a previous order, you can use the same one. If you forgot your password, enter your email and request a new password.
- Your credit card will be charged when you place your order and check out.
- Because this is a reorder, prices are at quantity 100 pricing — it carries over from our order last fall.
- You may cancel your order at any time up to the close date (see above). After that, no cancellations.
- Your order ships directly to you. At checkout, you will have a choice of shipping via UPS (with tracking) or USPS (without). Shipping charges will be added to your order.
- If you have any problems with the above, tell us at .
Voler’s sizes may be quite different from what you’re used to — especially if you are new to quality road bike clothing, which is intended to fit snugly. These are custom-order items and cannot be exchanged or returned. If you need to find out your Voler size, you have several options.
Option 1. Check Voler’s page “Finding the Perfect Fit”. That page also describes Race Fit vs Club Fit.
Option 2. Order returnable items from Voler’s general store in the size(s), fit(s), and style(s) you are considering. Try them on, return them, and you will only be charged shipping.
Option 3. Check here to see what size Voler clothing the club currently has in stock. We have many sizes/fits in stock, but not all. If you want to try on one of the sizes/fits that we have, contact our Clothing Officer at to make an appointment. Note — our stock garments are from previous model years. The fit for this year’s garments will be the same, but various features on this year’s garments will be updated.
In the past we have had sizing kits from Voler for tryout. But not this year. The Board decided against it.
Ride Leader Credits
Due to budget constraints arising from the canceled Century, for this order you may redeem up to two Ride Leader Premiums (2 sets of 8 Ride Leader Credits) but no more. Further, the total expenditure for RLP redemptions is capped at $2360, which should allow for about 20 items to be purchased. The RLC Layaway program is not available for this order.
- Place your order from the Voler store and send a screenshot or preliminary
Don't wait — First come, first served!
- If the cap has not been met and you have sufficient RLCs, the Clothing Officer will reply with confirmation that your order will be reimbursed.
- Otherwise, the Clothing Officer will deny your request. You can choose to pay for your items or you can cancel your order on the Voler site any time before the store closes.
- After the store closes, generate a final receipt from the Voler store. See detailed instructions on this, below.
- Send the receipt to the GPC Clothing Officer:
- USPS to Vanessa Anderson, 909 Paramount Rd., Oakland 94610
- Include your full name and mailing address.
- The Clothing Officer will verify your RLPs and the Treasurer will mail you a reimbursement check.
For RLP reimbursement, here is how to get a final order receipt which shows your final cost with everything taken into account (tax, shipping, price adjustment credits, etc):
- Go to www.voler.com.
- Sign in to your Voler account: Click the "Sign In" icon near top right.
- Click the "My Account" icon which now appears near top right.
- Click on "Order History" which now appears in the Your Account box, top left.
- Find your recent order in the list which appears. Click "View" for the order.
- Now your order details are showing.
- Use your browser's "Print" function to print to a PDF file.
- Save this PDF file. It is your final order statement/receipt.
There are other ways to get order statements from Voler, but some of them are a little confusing or inconsistent in the info that they show. Please use the method above.
Clothing Items – So Many Choices!
Voler offers a very wide set of bike clothing choices. Full info is available on Voler's custom-catalog site but it is spread out over many different pages. The section below gathers the most relevant info into one place. It is quite detailed — but even so it does not cover everything.
JERSEY CUTS. Voler offers two different cuts of jersey: club-fit and race-fit. The sizing kit includes samples of both, in all sizes. Race-fit is more snug, particularly around the belly and waist. Race-fit is also shorter in the back for any given size; it is actually a little shorter in back than the one size smaller club-fit. (“Which ensures that artwork on the rear panel of the shorts will be visible”, according to their website.) For example, size L race-fit is a little shorter in back than size M club-fit. The women's Peloton jersey is available in three cuts: Club-fit, Race-fit, and No-Elastic (described as “More forgiving fit with no elastic in the waist hem or sleeve cuffs.”)
JERSEY FABRICS. The shortsleeve Peloton jersey uses “Genesis” fabric — good for mild weather. The longleeve Peloton jersey is available in a choice of two different fabrics: Genesis and also “Geotherm” which is thicker and probably better if you seek an outer layer for cooler weather. The Pro jersey, which is also available as both shortsleeve Pro and longsleeve Pro, uses different fabrics still; the longsleeve Pro also offers an option of Geotherm fabric. Further explanation of Peloton vs. Pro is below.
JERSEY ZIPPERS. The Peloton and Pro jerseys both have a full length zipper. The zippers are right-handed (some bike apparel manufacturers use left-handed zippers instead).
ARMWARMERS, ARMCOOLERS. Armwarmers you already know — perfect for layering; wear them on cool mornings and as the day heats up, remove them easily without even pausing your pedal stroke. Voler also offers SolSkin UV arm protectors, often known as “armcoolers,” with our custom GPC design. They are similar to armwarmers — but whereas the armwarmers use Yukon Fleece fabric intended for cold weather, the armcoolers use “Spectrum” fabric which is intended for use in sunny warm weather. It is lightweight, UV protective (rated SPF 50+), and highly wicking for evaporative cooling. It is possible that, due to the different fabric, the fit (or stretch) may seem a little different than the armwarmers. (Mark A uses armcoolers one size smaller that his armwarmers due to the stretch in the fabric.) The price is the same as for armwarmers, and in the on-line ordering system they show up as a separate fabric choice under regular armwarmers.
SLEEVELESS JERSEYS. Sleveless jerseys (men's and women's) are available in Peloton only. Only one fit is available: it is about half-way between race-fit and club-fit. Unlike the other jerseys, they have no reflective tabs.
WIND SHELL VESTS AND JACKETS. These are full-zipper shells. The fronts are a solid weave wind-blocking fabric. The side panels and rear are a more breathable fabric. Vest and jackets both have 3 rear pockets. (Voler's wind vests have had rear pockets for many years. Rear pockets on the jackets are a recent addition.)
THERMAL VESTS AND JACKETS. These use a very warm fabric called Denali LT. These garments are far thicker and more windproof than the jerseys, wind vests, or wind jackets.
‘PELOTON’ VS ‘PRO’ VERSION. For jerseys and shorts you have a choice of the Peloton or the Pro version. Pro costs somewhat more than Peloton. Here are some differences. The Peloton jersey has regular seams, three rear pockets, and a standard double-layer foldover arm cuff. The Pro jersey has flat seams, a single-layer arm cuff, a fourth rear pocket which is zippered (on the shortsleeve only), and lighter weight fabric called “Nova”. Peloton shorts have regular seams and Triton and Sola non-compression fabrics. The Pro shorts have flat seams and Lux compression fabric. Some people prefer compression fabric, but others find it quite uncomfortable (too compressive) in ways you might not expect. The sizing kit will have examples of all these, so you can try them on for yourself. (The hyperlinks given in this paragraph are for shortsleeve jerseys and regular shorts. Both Peloton and Pro lines also have longsleeve jersys and bib shorts. So many choices!)
REFLECTIVITY. Voler jerseys, vests, and jackets – including thermal vests and jackets – have reflective features on the back for visibility at night. For the vests, jackets, and Pro shortsleeve jersey it is a full-width reflective binding sewn across the tops of the rear pockets. For the Peloton jerseys and Pro longsleeve jersey it is reflective tabs sewn onto the pockets. The sleeveless jersey does not have reflective tabs.
CHAMOIS PADS. Several different chamois pads are available for the bike shorts and knickers. All are high-quality multi-layer (“three-dimensional”) sculpted pads. All are available in men's and women's versions.
- Elan (black) — the standard pad.
- Orion (green) — $8 upcharge. Higher density foam. Unlike the Elan and Comp HP, the layering is on the underside of the pad, so the side that contacts you appears to be nearly flat. For the men's, it is about the same size as the men's Elan. For the women's, no dimensions are given on the website.
- Comp HP (red-orange) — $10 upcharge. Higher density foam. For men's, it is about the same size as the men's Elan, except for the “wings” at the top of the legs, which are wider than on the Elan. For women's, the Comp HP is noticeably larger (bulkier) than the women's Elan. The Comp HP's foam seems to be a little bit denser still than the Orion's.
Voler's info on their different pads is on their website.
WOMEN'S SHORTS. Women's shorts – both Peloton and Pro – now use a yoga style waistband without any elastic. This is a recent change.
YUKON KNICKERS FABRIC. Voler offers an optional thermal fabric for knickers, called “Yukon Thermal Fleece” It is warm and fleecy, and the sizing kit includes a sample of it. It is a $15 upcharge. Effective 2021, knickers are available only in Pro and only in Yukon fabric.
WOMEN'S OUTERWEAR; WOMEN'S KNICKERS. Voler offers women's cut in nearly everything including wind vests, wind jackets, thermal vests, thermal jackets, and knickers (which latter were many years in the coming).
FURTHER DETAILS AND PHOTOS. Even more detailed information with extensive photos is available on Voler's custom-catalog site. Scroll down to where it says ‘Pro Collection’, ‘Peloton Collection’, ‘Outerwear Collection’, etc; then click on your item of interest. Information on specific fabrics, features, etc., is on their “Let Us Steer You” page.
EVEN MORE CHOICES. Voler's custom-catalog site shows additional items, many of them not on the GPC storefront, such as: triathlon and multisport wear; mtb and off-road jerseys and shorts; base layers and undergarments; rainwear; longsleeve thermal jackets; longsleeve and shortsleeve skinsuits; Pro Yukon bib knickers; kneewarmers; legwarmers; and various accessories such as cycling caps and neck gaiters. If you want to order anything not shown on the storefront, contact Mark (see below) for more info including pricing. The club will not award the more expensive items (over about $105) as RLP which is why certain items were removed from display on our storefront.
CHANGES IN 2021. Voler has announced several changes for 2021, including:
- Knickers and bib-knickers are available only in Pro and only in Yukon fabric.
- Club fit jerseys are discontinued in the Pro line. Peloton line only. Women's Peloton jersey now available in three versions: Race, Club, and No Elastic.
- Reinforced pockets on Pro and Velocity jerseys.
- (Also: revisions in triathlon, skinsuit, and mtb wear – probably not interesting to most GPC members; but ask if you want to know.)
QUESTIONS? CORRECTIONS? If you have questions not answered here, contact Vanessa or Mark at Info Updates section of this page, above.. There are many details above; we tried to get them all correct. However, if you discover any errors, please inform us. We will post any corrections or updates on the
— Mark Abrahams